- A “bit” is atomic: the smallest unit of digital storage. A bit stores just a 0 or 1
- One byte can store one character, e.g. ‘A’ or ‘x’ or ‘$’
- 1 byte = 8 bit
- 1 kilobyte (KB) = 1,024 bytes
- 1 megabyte (MB) = 1,024 KB
- 1 gigabyte (GB) = 1,024 MB
- 1 terabyte (TB) = 1,0241 GB
- 1 petabyte (PB) = 1,024 TB
- 1 exabyte (EB) = 1,024 PB
- 1 zettabyte (ZB) = 1,024 EB
- 1 yottabyte (YB) = 1.024 ZB
- As of October 14th, 2018, at least 4.46 billion pages exist on the internet.
- Google itself said that they had indexed just 0.004% of all the content present on the internet.
- As of October 2018, There are more than 1.9 billion websites on the Internet.
- As of 14th October 2018, there are around 441 million Tumblr blogs on the web.
- There are 75.8 million blogs and business sites in existence are on WordPress.
- More than 5 million blog posts are published every single day.
- 95 million photos are uploaded on Instagram every day.
- 70% of Instagram posts don’t get seen.
- Internet users consumed 1 zettabyte bandwidth in 2016
- By the year 2021, 82% of all IP traffic will be video, predicts Cisco.
- as at October 2018, 4 Billion out of the 7 Billion people on earth are already online. InternetLiveStats (ILS) monitors the active state of the internet
- 7 People control the whole internet. There are seven people assigned to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) who hold seven different keys. In the case of a Catastrophe, these seven people can meet again and restore the state of the Internet. There are seven copies of the original key, in case if one of them gets misplaced or if something goes wrong.
- The internet requires 50 Million horsepower to keep running in the current state.
- Thee are 85,000+ websites are hacked every day.
- WordPress and Joomla are the most affected ( hacked ) CMS (content management systems) on the Internet.
- 5000 domain names are registered every hour.
- More than 75% of Domains are parked or not resolving, that’s the reason why you don’t get your desired .com domain name.
- The first ever email was sent in 1971. This email was sent by Ray Tomlinson (US programmer) who invented the email system. The “@” symbol was used to signify that the email was sent to a person and not a dumb machine (computer). Sad that he doesn’t remember the exact message he sent back then.
- 250 Billion emails are sent out daily.
- The surprising fact is that 81% of all emails are spam which is sent using automated means.
- 200 billion spam emails every day.
- The first spam email was sent back in 1978, it was an advertisement for a presentation by Digital Equipment Corporation for DEC System 2020. The email contained 600 recipients, and none of them were happy to receive it.
- The world’s first website is still online. The first website created was info.cern.ch,and it is still online. It’s a basic HTML site, and the page contains a few lines of text. The page was written with the help of the first version of HTML.
- Twitter was earlier known as Twttr. Twitter was first described as SMS-based social networking and, therefore, has a character limit of 140 (It currently has a 280 character limit).
- The first tweet was by Jack Dorsey on March 21, 2006. The tweet read “just setting up my twttr.” The site has evolved a lot in recent years and now has more than 335 million active users who send out 500 million tweets every single day.
- GMail.com was offered by Garfield, the cartoon character. Google later acquired the service, and they renamed it to Google Mail (GMail.com) as we all know today.
- It takes around 2 billion electrons to produce a single email.
- 400 Hours of video contents are uploaded on YouTube Every Minute.
- More than 1 Billion people every month, and an average internet user spends 4 hours every month on YouTube.
- The first YouTube video to be uploaded was “Meet At Zoo” at 8:27 p.m. on Saturday, April 23, 2005, by Jawed Karim.
- There are 4.9 Million apps on Google Play and Apple App Store combined.
- Around 80% of the images on the internet are of Naked women.
- 12% Of all existing websites online are NSFW.
- 1 out of every three downloads is NSFW.
- Sunday is the day of maximum consumption.
- The online adult industry makes 3000$ a second.
- 51% of all internet’s traffic is Fake.
- The Internet took just 4 years to reach its first 50 Million Users.
- Television took 13 years. While the radio took 38 years to reach its first 50 Million Users.
- First webcam was created at the University Of Cambridge to monitor the Trojan coffee pot. A live 128×128 grayscale picture of the state of the coffee pot was provided as the video feed.
- The internet is now 10,000+ days old. If you want to keep an exact track of the counter, you can always visit here and appreciate that you have access to free information anywhere and everywhere.
- The modern World Wide Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee was knighted by Queen Elizabeth.
- The first image uploaded by the inventor of the modern day World Wide Web was a joke band of women from the nuclear research lab CERN.
- South Korea and Japan have the best internet right now because according to Akamai, the average bandwidth speed in these locations is 22Mbps. In comparison, the average internet speed in the U.S. is 8.4Mbps.